Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Monty Python and the Social Grail

Originally published 8/11/2011

I’m going to depart a bit from my usual blog entry for the next few weeks to instead talk about an exciting adventure I’ll be a part of next month. I’m pleased to announce that I’ve been one of the 150 Twitterers (Tweeters?) selected to attend the NASA Tweetup event for the launch of the GRAIL moon mission in September. Woot!

For those of you that haven’t heard of it,  GRAIL (ostensibly for Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory, but I have to think that a fondness for Monty Python movies was somehow involved) is part of NASA’s Discovery Program. If all goes as planned, twin satellites will circle the moon for several months making detailed maps of the moon’s gravity in preparation for NASA’s eventual return to manned moon missions someday. Or so lots of us hope.

So on September 7th and 8th, I’ll be making the trip up to the Kennedy Space Center to be given the grand tour by NASA culminating in a ring-side seat to the launch.  Very little has been shared with us about what NASA has planned for this Tweetup, so I’ll be updating my blog as I learn more.  I’m planning on tweeting (@davehiggins1) about the experience, talking about it on my blog, and, of course, taking a massive amount of pictures. From what I gather from past attendees to these Tweetups, this should be a lot of fun.  And informative!

So you are invited to virtually come along with me for what I’m sure will be a wonderful adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment